Thursday, April 3, 2008

Double Dip Day




One of the best memories of childhood that I share with my brother and sister is the magical sentence: "It's a double dip day!" Whenever Momee would visit us in Indiana, we would make at least one trek to Lloyd's Ice Cream for a cone. We were always in suspense...will it be? will it be? will it be a....double dip day?!

Selections of flavors was always a long, thought provoking endeavor, and it always seemed we could narrow our choices down to just 2. Momee and Mom would smile mysteriously, savoring the suspense. At the last moment, when we couldn't stand it anymore, the verdict would be given, and more often than not...it was a double dip day!

Double Dip Day has now become a phrase we use to indicate it was an extra special, happy day or experience.

May we all have plenty of "double dip days" to come!

3 comments:

Marty said...

Rachel,

What a special memory to recall! It's true. We never forget "double dip days". I hope everyone begins to enjoy them beginning now.

Thanks,
Marty/Mom

Paul Rowntree said...

Hello Rachel,

I have not checked the blog in a week or so and decided to load the three pic of Momee in April of last year at the Ranch. I read you comment on the Double Dip Day, and I will make two points. All of us that knew the Momee well, realized that Ice Cream was very high on her list of something wonderful, and the second point is that when I think of Momee it seemed to me that she always had a Double Dip Day. She was so good in spirit she was always having a good day, never a down day. That was Momee....always upbeat and positive. We miss the Momee, she must be with us in spirit. It has been a month now....and I think of her each day.

Paul Rowntree

rachel brownlie said...

It took me a long time to figure out the reason we had a lot of ice cream when Momee was around was because it was something she loved as much as we did if not even more.

I can't go into an ice cream place without thinking of her.